Life is messy, and sometimes can be painful. Sometimes you’re playing catch with the kid and the ball hits your tooth. Now you’ve got a chipped tooth.
Chipped or cracked teeth pose more significant risks than you would imagine from such a simple injury. They greatly reduce the structural integrity of the damaged tooth, and they make excellent places from bacteria to begin a cavity. Swing by Art & Science Family Dentistry soon after getting the injury to get it fixed, and be sure to beware of these things that can damage your teeth:
• If you chew on hard objects such as ice, hard candy, or hard nuts you can fracture a tooth.
• A blow to the mouth can crack a tooth.
• If tooth enamel is exposed to temperature extremes, your tooth can crack. So if you are eating hot soup, don’t be tempted to sip ice water with it.
• Your teeth can crack if you persistently grind or clench your teeth (also known as bruxism).
• To repair a cracked tooth our dentist will first examine the tooth to determine proper treatment. If the tooth has minor cracks, bonding with a tooth-colored composite resin or dental filling may be all that will be needed. However, if the damage is severe, or affecting the tooth pulp, the tooth may require further treatment.
To learn more about your options for repairing a cracked broken tooth, please contact Drs. Kinney, Musser and Kinney at Art & Science Family Dentistry in Woodbury, Minnesota today!